Road injuries are the leading cause of preventable deaths and injuries to children in the United States but correctly using child safety seats can reduce that risk by as much as 71 percent. September is Child Passenger Safety Month and a great time to make sure your children are safe in their seats.
Safe Kids Worldwide offers these five basic rules of car seat safety:
1. Select the right car seat for your child’s age, weight, height and development. Buy and use the seat that fits your child now-not one they’ll grow into.
2. Use your car seat in the correct direction. Kids under the age of 2 are safest when rear-facing. Just follow the instructions on the car seat.
3. Pick the safest location in the car, which for kids under 13 is always the back seat.
4. Use the harness correctly as the instructions recommend. With the chest clip placed at armpit level, pinch the strap at your child’s shoulder. If you are unable to pinch any excess webbing, you’re good to go.
5. Install correctly in the car. There are different rules based on science for your car, your car seat and your child, so pay attention to the instructions. Once your car seat is installed, give it a good shake at the base where the seat belt fits. A properly installed seat will not move more than an inch.
If you have any questions you can find everything you need to know online in the Safe Kids Ultimate Car Seat Guide: https://www.safekids.org/ultimate-car-seat-guide/
You can have your child’s seat checked at one of our Car Seat Safety Checks:
Sept. 21 from 8-11 a.m.
Larry H. Miller Ford Mesa
460 E. Auto Center Drive
Sept. 28 from 8-11 a.m.
Larry H. Miller Dodge Ram Avondale
10101 W. Papago Fwy
Oct. 5 from 8-11 a.m.
Larry H. Miller Toyota Peoria
8633 W. Bell Road
Oct. 12 from 8-11 a.m.
Larry H. Miller Volkswagen Avondale
10205 W. Papago Fwy
Thanks to Larry H. Miller for partnering with Safe Kids for these 5th Annual Keys to Carseat Safety events!